Our client is a fast growing challenger bank which was established in 1977. Their SME focused business built initially round the property market expanded into the retail sector and established their asset finance division in 2014. They employ 200 employees and are looking to significantly grow their asset finance business.
Their Asset Finance team offers hire purchase and leasing finance for businesses and consumers via independent hire purchase and leasing introducers. They finance a wide range of assets such as manufacturing, engineering, construction and agricultural sectors to printing, materials handling, IT and medical equipment.
Due to expansion of the Asset Finance business across block and receivable and direct business, the Senior Underwriter is a new role with the opportunity and autonomy to help build and shape a market leading Asset Finance underwriting function.
The main purpose of the role is to work as part of the Block Discounting and Receivables Credit team in developing the department and taking ownership for underwriting authority, and over time, the role will also focus on larger ticket broker sourced deals. This position will have responsibility for the end-to-end underwriting process; including representing the function at Credit Committees, when applicable, with the ability to influence lending decisions. The breadth of the role also entails portfolio monitoring, assisting with high risk customers and preparing management information / reports for senior management. The key responsibilities are as follows:
- Underwriting Asset Finance proposals up to a value of £150K.
- Timely and accurate underwriting decisions within a higher level delegated authority and recommendations to senior management and Transactional Credit Committee where outside of personal mandate
- Prepare comprehensive financial analysis identifying all material financial and other risks and opportunities in order to arrive at a balanced and informed recommendation
- Undertakes all appropriate diligence in respect of transactions, including reference to relevant bureaus, referencing agencies & other external sources ensuring alignment to the Bank’s risk policies
- Maintains active watch over portfolio performance & awareness of market trends
- Able to liaise with key customers
- The willingness, aptitude and gravitas to be a key member of a growing business
- Knowledge of working within Asset Finance would be ideal
- Customer focused mindset, to develop the market expertise as well as build strong relationships
- Principled and ethical, having respect for others and leading by example
- Dynamic and decisive, continuously striving to improve and acting on opportunities
- Quality driven, you focus on always delivering the results and achieving high standards
- Informing individual, sharing knowledge and delivering insights, supporting decision-making
- Positive and enthusiastic, having a constructive attitude and self-motivated to meet personal and team commitments
- Collaborative individual who works well in a team
- Extensive experience in a relevant role, either within credit risk of a block discounting department or corporate bank or similar credit role
- Experience of Block and Middle Ticket and / or mid-term lending would be ideal
- Experience of drafting and implementing policy would be ideal
- Fundamental knowledge of accountancy and financial analysis of SME’s and corporates
- From a credit perspective, lending experience of SME and corporate clients
- Understanding of regulatory governance and ensuring compliance with lending and credit policies (including management of large exposures / concentration risk)
Bonus with additional perks
To apply for this position, please > Submit your CV quoting ref: MJM193.